Friday, January 22, 2010

Pink Eye

Pink Eye in three dogs is just a riot.  Jake is great about his eye drops, Mollz likes to wiggle around, protest, but I know her, what she will do, what she won't .......I can get the drops in Mollie and Jake twice a day, no worries.   Tucker is another story......I went back to the vets and got a suave in lieu of the drops, I can put this in with my finger....He still wasn't having any of it.  So I tried peanut butter around the inside edge of a bowl....keep him busy with that and put the suave in the eye, this worked somewhat for three applications, I'd get Elvis lips, get to see those beautiful, large white canines...."Don't do it Lady" but I persisted and prevailed each time.....after three days the peanut butter stopped working....so tonight after they had all been feed and Tuck was walking around the kitchen, I cleaned my hands and put some suave on my finger, came up from behind him and started to pet him, not saying anything...boom got it in one of his eye, rubbed it while petting him....one eye down....about 15 minutes later I repeated the move......no drama, no trauma....no Elvis lip......ye ha!


This is what Tucker is all about...."I'm handsome, I want things my way, not your way, so there, what are you going to do about it."  TEST TEST TEST.....


He is really a good dog on so many levels, but damn he is stubborn and somewhere along the way he has learned that Elvis lip and showing some teeth will back you right off.....But not me.....sometimes I'm using a stern voice...."Knock it off"......sometimes a time outs in the crate.......sometimes I just ignore him.....but getting into it with him is just not an option......he has had a bad experience with force training....you do it...you growl at me I will hold your snout shut.....who the hell's idea was that!   If you try to powerhouse me...I'll get in your face and I'm a human, I understand words, body language and so does Tuck.....so everything with him needs to be calm, up beat and positive.  That has always been my approach with dogs.......I have spoken with Bridget the behaviorist with Fluffy Dog and she has been wonderful....she has keep me going.... reassuring me.......but if any of you has some additional advice we would really appreciate..........This guy is great and he's a baby....only 9 months old....so come on dog army send me energy, stories and things to try....he is 95.5% of the way to being a wonderful Fluffy Dog lets take him all the way!


He sure is a beauty.....

I had to share this one too....I was working on the computer....looked out the window...and this is what I saw


Read the post below about Gypsy if you get a minute....boy of boy talk about two different personalities Gypsy and Tuck are like night and day....guess who is the dark night and who is the day light faerie...
The Lady

2 comments:

  1. Sending energy your way:) I'm sure "doggie adolescence" isn't helping the situation much. I'm sure with time, consistency, and your positive reinforcement leadership he will continue to learn and progress. I just offered to foster Brent. You know how it is, each new pup teaches us something. PS Jake is certainly a beauty in his pic. Did you get my pug email??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as Cricket says above, time and consistency - never let him win - which you are doing, is about all you can do. Eventually, he'll get the message and let's all cross our fingers that his forever family is just as strong as you are! And no, doggie adolescence isn't helping either; it's probably the time dogs most want to test the boundaries. Just like everything, this too shall pass! LOL He's beautiful and we're sending extra Beardie white light that he starts getting the hint! No Elvis Impersonators!

    ReplyDelete