Thursday, November 19, 2009

Delilah the Gypsy 2 Month Aniversary

I was looking at the calender and released it was just two months ago that I met Delilah the Gypsy. She was starved for affection, shaved nearly to the skin, under-weight and confused by this strange Lady that had just scooped her up. She found herself in a home with two rambunctious dogs and too many cats, what she must have been thinking. But she was more then willing to give us a chance.

We, the humans that rescue and care for dogs in need, talk a lot about how we give them a chance at a new life. But each of these dogs give us, the human, the same species that neglected, abused and or threw them away a chance to redeem ourselves. They open up their fragile hearts and dare to trust again. It is frequently two steps forward and one step back, but most often these missteps are unintentionally initiated by the human. These dogs are the true heroes, they never give up on us, the want to love and be loved. They will give and give until we get it right.

I just took this photo of Gypsy today, she wasn't too happy about posing, she had been crashed happily on the sofa....I woke her up to show you how much her coat has come in, the weight she has put on, and how happy I believe she is. Now all she needs is a home, her own home. Maybe that is the hint of sorrow in her eyes.
This is the shaved, thin, scared dog I met just two months ago!
I can't believe she has come so far in such a short time, two days ago I had her in Chicago, walking bravely down a noisy city street. She follows me to the dog park or on a walk in our neighborhood. She waits patiently every night as I mix up the cat food and feed them before the dogs; then dances and Beardie bounces making the cutest houndy-sounding barks as I make up the dog food. She waits if it is not her turn to be feed first, then sits and looks right at me, just like I ask her to, before she gets her bowl. She cuddles up with Jake or a cat or me on the sofa each night as we take in TV. She goes out when I ask her, comes in when she's called and she trust me and I love and admire her for it.
Miracles Happen
The Lady

2 comments: