Tuesday, November 17, 2009

More from Chicago

Last night I was as worn out as the dogs.....I managed to upload the photo's but could scarcely put a cognitive sentence together!

Monday, November 16th the pack and I loaded up in the car and headed for Chicago to meet up with our friend Dave. Dave and I have done some research on Dog Friendly Chicago. According to DogFriendly.com Chicago is rated 7th for 2009, so we thought we would check it out. There are websites that list hotels, dog parks and things to do with your dog(s) in the City. Dave is a boat captain and he has checked out Montrose Beach via binoculars from the boat, he also lived near this area when he first came to the city so he had some first hand knowledge.... away we went!

When the Pack & I picked Dave up, he was immediately a accosted by the crew.....Jake was attempting to climb in the front seat and sit on him, Mollie was kissing his face and Gyps was struggling to get to him past Big Butt Jake! All the while I'm trying to drive through city traffic......great! We headed north on Lake Shore Drive.....terrific views....not too much traffic! As it is November parking was very easy to find. We unloaded the dogs and we were off.

This beach is totally dedicated to our four legged friends. There is fencing around three sides with Lake Michigan as the fourth side. It was cold, man I mean cold, the wind was ripping off the lake and I was really glad I dressed for the occasion! The dogs went crazy racing through the sand, frolicking with new friends and enjoying this fresh, innovative adventure! When we arrived there was about 6 other dogs there, during our stay at least 15 dogs and their owner came in and out, there are some really die-hard folks in Chicago!

Mollie is part Lab and she was racing at the waters edge and dodging the incoming waves; I live on a small lake in northern Illinois so I have taken her to the beach near our home before, but she had seen nothing like this! Jake on the other hand goes out of his way to keep his toes out of the water.......this guy will avoid a mud puddle at all cost! He was a hoot, he would go to the waters edge and totally freak out when the waves would come in! Gypsy loved running in the wind, she was the lone wolf of the day. There was a dog walker there that visits this beach with his charges daily. He was throwing a rope toy into the lake and his charges where crashing through the wave to be the first one out.....Gyps got so excited she went flying in, the shock and amazement was absolutely hilarious, she had no idea what to do, she was making every attempt to get her feet out of the water only to find that she actually had to get to the beach.

After spending about and hour and a half at the beach, walking on leash through the adjoining park and watching some really crazy extreme sport dudes kite surfing, yes it is the truth there where guys out in the water flying around like the crazy men they are! Dave, the Pack and I loaded up again in the SUV and headed out to an area call Riverwalk.

Heading back to the Downtown area we found a parking garage and with the dogs in tow started to find out way out of the maze. We determined that the elevator was the best way out and it would be good for the dogs to experience it. They where all so cool about the whole thing I was dumb-struck. I don't know what I expected, but they only seamed to question why where were all going into a closet! We came out of the building on Upper Wacker drive, for any of you that have been in Chicago this is a really busy street. Jake & Mollie were unfazed by the traffic, cars and really noisy trucks. Gypsy was in flight mode, she had no clue where we were, why we were there but she was sure we should get the hell away from this craziness. She keep it together on a short lead and determined it was best to stay between me and Mollie.

We headed north on Wacker and found a set of stairs leading down to the Riverwalk. Jake and Mollie had no problem with the downward trek, Dave took Gypsy and with some gentle persuasion she figured out this was just one more thing she could do! You go girl, I was so proud of her. The Riverwalk was much quieter and they really enjoyed walking along and taking in all the sites and smells. To get to the opposite side of the Chicago River we followed a ramp up to a foot bridge, this areas was right next to a metal rackety auto bridge, here again Gyps needed all her courage to stay with us, but once again she did a spectacular job.

We found an outdoor bistro that was still serving and Dave and I had a burger and coffee...warding off the cold! Mollie was the best behaved here, she just laid down like the smart girl she is. Jake was calm, but very interested in the table we where dining at, his head is about one foot taller so wow cool Dudes, can I have a fry! Gyps needed reassurance that it was all good, but continued to handle everything I was throwing at her with her Beardie grace.

Now comes the most amazing escapade of the day, THE STAIRS UP! Dave had Mollie, I had Jake and Gypsy the first few flights to concrete landings where going just fine....the higher we got the more Jake started to freak and shut down. I know Jake is not into stairs, he will not go up to my daughter's 4 floor apartment, but I figured those steps where wood, slippery and narrow. The higher we got on this open rail stairway the more he freaked out...he started to pull me back down and I mean pull me, but we only had one more flight to make it to the street. Dave grabbed Gyps lead, she was doing great. Dave, Mollie and Gyps where at street level and Jake had literally collapsed on the landing. I got down next to him, he was crying, whimpering and shaking. I keep petting, reassuring and got him to look at me. I turned him to be facing Dave and the crew, got up and in my most firm voice said Jake Come....Dave was calling him from the top and we took off. He made it!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea what we would have/could have done if he didn't find the courage to go. He is 145 lbs of really big dog!

Chicago was fantastic, I am so glad we went the Pack, Dave and I really enjoyed it! I would give the day 5 out of 5 stars. We where dressed appropriately, had the right equipment for the dogs and it was amazing! I am more then proud of my Pack. Anyone that thinks Gypsy is too old of a dog to adopt is just crazy! She is a trouper, up for anything and can go anywhere!

This was a brief outline of our adventure, the video is editing so keep checking back!
For the next few months Dave and I will be visiting different areas in and around Chicago, the Suburbs and Southern Wisconsin, create a video of each visit and introduce all of you to great places to have some fun with your dogs!
The Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment