Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Hiking Dinner Party

Yesterday the pack and I went to the PARK OF THE DOGS, again......
The place was so crowed they where parked on Fairfield and coming in by leash. The good news is there is such a turnaround that you wait in the parking lot for just a few minutes someone is always leaving.
We got our parking place and made our way to the gate, there where about 30 dogs waiting in the play area to greet new arrivals. Jake took off right out the gate with his best jumps and spins that are his official way of saying "Dudes, what a beautiful day, lets run and play" Mollie was streaking across the play area with her favorite game of Chase & Race. While Gypsy found every little dog more then interesting to follow and herd.
I really need to find her cue, her command that will get her attention when she is in herd mode. Now I have to follow, calling and calling; get right up to her and once I get eye contact she will come to me, begrudgingly. I can then snap on a leash and lead her away. She is continually turning to see where her little friend is going. Once we are away I can unhook the lead and she will stay with us until her attention is diverted again by a small dog.....we start again. When we are hiking for the most part she stays with us, but I need to be ever vigilant when small dogs come up on us to keep her with her pack. We will get this figured out sooner or later!
After the PARK OF THE DOGS we drove home and I called a friend that lives near Bristrol WI. We decided that I would drive up with my pack and she would load up her two dog pack and we would go to Bong Recreation Area for a hike. Bong is beautiful, but it is an On Leash Only areas and with 5 dogs on leash it was a bit of a trip. We did get in about a 1 hour walk and it was a great time. We then went back to Jule's and the dogs where really great in the house together. Gyps was a little hesitant of the wood floor, sliding around when she would jump off the sofas. All and all it was a great time we had a wonderful dinner and the dogs where exposed to yet one more adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment