Friday, June 25, 2010

Friday Night Heat

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days, work and home-work have been kind of crazy!
We have been walking and the dogs have been great about my work hours, we either get a walk in before I head out to work or get one in after.  Today we did both.
Took the short loop this morning and all went well.  Came home let the dogs hang out in the yard while I got ready for work and then Fitz went into his crate and Jake and Molls roamed the house.  When I got home it was all three out in the yard while I cleaned up the yard after them.....I have always wondered what dogs think of this ritual....
"Humans are so weird.....they walk around the yard with some strange contraption cleaning up dog poop, right out of strange but true!"


I got the yard mowed.....yippee if it didn't get done today it would have been sickle time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Came in feed everyone and then feed myself, cooled down for awhile then leashed everyone up and off we went for the long loop.  We were walking along and everything was going just fine....we were in a large parking lot of the local grocery store, we walk through there every time we do the long loop.  The crew spotted a Pit-bull, on leash with his master..they all three became very alert.  I slowed the walk down and was letting them pass, they were heading in the same direction we would be taking and I really wanted some space between us.  Then the guy and the Pit turned and started heading back toward us.  We still had a street between us, so I told the pack to "Hout"...this is my command word for STOP.  All three did, then Fitz started to bark and snarl at the Pit...."QUIT".....he then snapped a Molls, who was right next to him....that kind of snap you sometimes see between pack members....Jake sprang on him.....so here I am with three dogs on leash and two in a skirmish.....this was getting really interesting!  I side kicked Jake, and he moved off of Fitz, but then Fitz came at him....."QUIT....HEY....KNOCK IT OFF"  Fitz and Jake ended it....a few more looks....a few more quits....but it was over....thank God....I had dropped Mollie's leash and she stayed right with me.  


I'm sure this was Fitz protecting the pack, and Jake protecting Mollie and me doing my very best to be Pack Leader....it was over as fast as it started, we continued the walk, I keep Jake on one side and Fitz on the other with Mollie and I in between them.  They acted like nothing had happened.  We pass dogs all the time on our walks....my crew will pull more then usual, they really want to meet the other dogs, but we just keep moving.....was it the heat.....was it the Pit sending off some mysterious signal....was it that I stopped and didn't keep moving......I have no clue!


In the end they are all good dogs...it started...it was over....we went on.  
Jake is in his crate and Fitz is in his.....I just want everyone to settle down and take a rest. I'm off to run the vacuum and get ready for tomorrow.  I'm going to see Tom Petty....my friend Dane is going to come and let the crew out a few times....I really excited!
The Lady

2 comments:

  1. Too funny Kris, I'll be at Tom Petty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dog just wrote a guest column for my dog. Check it out:

    http://daisybrain.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/guest-column-by-duke/

    ReplyDelete