Monday, June 21, 2010

The Rain in Wonder Lake Falls Mainly on Our Heads

It was a long weekend......work......walking dogs......having dinner with my girlfriends and staying out too late!
Saturday morning before work the crew and I took a walk...1 mile loop, I got home from work and knew I was going out to dinner with friends, so I took them on the 2 mile loop.  When I got home from dinner it was 12:30AM....too many Martini's and too pumped up from laughing with my friends.....so I decide to go for a second...no it was our third walk....well, technically the first walk of Sunday.....1 mile loop, in the dark....and in Wonder Lake there are about 3 street lights, so at 12:30AM it's as dark as the inside of a cow!

When the alarm went off Sunday at 7:30AM all I could think of was "What was I thinking....walking around in the middle of the night....I should have been sleeping"  I worked from 10:00 to 4:00 Sunday, came home, let dogs out and took a power nap on the sofa.....up 45 minutes later....feed cats, feed dogs, then out the door again for the 2 mile loop!  Sometimes I am certain I am a fixture on the Wonder Lake Merry-Go-Round!

As I'm not as young as I once was.....I find I'm still recovering from a late night....two days later!  This morning I was up again at 7:30, this time springing out of bed...you betcha....feeding cats, feeding dogs.....watching coffee brew!  That weatherman keep repeating scattered showers, I kept looking at the sky and watching the coffee brew.  OK after the first cup I'm up stairs putting on dog walking clothing, gathering leashes and bags...just in case....hooking up three excited dogs....sit......good dog....wait.....good dogs.....stay on the deck so I can close the door...."Was that thunder????

Off we go down the street.....the first block or so of the walk is filled with pulling....corrections...pulling...corrections....pulling....are you serious...pulling, until finally they all three settle in! 
"Thank you dog goddess, my arms were about to come out of the sockets!"  
Up the first big hill, which is about 1-1/2 blocks from my door....
"Did you feel that?...nah....wait...yes....sprinkle...droplets...more thunder....
The sky opened up, it was fricken pouring on our heads, backs, legs.....I don't run anymore....my body just refuses.....I don't know why.  So we head for home at a nice quick walk and we are walking through the largest rain-drops in the universe.....the kind that bounce 4 feet off the road and you can't see and your getting wetter and wetter!

We make it home, I am soaked to the skin....really....Mollie is wet, but she has that kind of coat that you can wipe the water off the top off and it is like cool....but Jake and Fitz are like sea sponges...go ahead dry them off as much as you like, with as many towels as you have, and somehow they are still soaked....crate time....here have a bone and hang out while I change and dry my hair and hang up my wet clothing on the rail of the loft!  Yippee Ky A this was fun. 

OK now it is 9:30 the sky is clearing....no more rain drops on the table  out on the deck....I have to work from 12:00 to 8:00 so let's go.....yes we will do the long loop.....dry jeans, dry tee-shirt, dry socks, dry tennis shoes, wet leashes, wet dogs and off we go......This time we make it at least 1/2 way......black clouds....thunder...again.  Universal size rain drops jumping 4 feet off the ground.....1 mile to go......GREAT!
The Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment