Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Great Escape

Hello Winks Fans....
Now I have told you that Winks is 26 lb that he is all of 14" at the shoulders, that he is an imp, that he loves to chew on stuff that good dogs are not supposed too, but say "NO" give him his toy or bone and all is fine.  You know that he is sleeping loose in the house, no problemo, that he stayed loose in the house with the big dogs, while I was out yesterday.....good boy!
Do we have a story for you!

The Characters
Winks as Steve McQueen
"Really I have no idea what this Lady is talkin about"
Mollie Maie: Steve's Collaborator
"Why are you including me in this...I only went with him once...
then I told him not to do it again, really"
Jake...The Informant
"Lady you are like totally reckin my image...man I'm not a snitch"
The Scene of the Crime
The Backyard...Fence
First you need to know that my deck meets the house right next to the fence and there are a couple of missing balusters...so there is a hole that is right next to the fence and from the deck the fence is about 1-1/2'. 
Had I been a better photographer, or investigator you would have seen this better...
A little back story for you.....
Last week I was on the phone in the living room, dogs were outside, I looked out the window and Winks was in the front yard, not good....So out the front door I went..."Winks Come" and he did...Good Dog.  
I assumed that he was going through the hole, off the deck, over the fence.....so I blocked it with wood and chairs.....Good thinking Lady! No more escapes.....
Sunday when I was out of town...Danny-the-dog-sitter put the dogs out, jumped in his car and went to the gas station for coffee...guess he is not familiar with a coffee pot, on the counter.  While he was gone...15 minutes....Bill and Chantille, my neighbors,  had just gotten up themselves, put Lacy the Puggle out and low and behold suddenly there in their front yard Mollie and Winks appeared.  Bill walked them home and put them in the house just as Danny-the-dog-sitter arrived back with his coffee.  They discussed the events and all again was well.
Comes Monday, I worked, took the dogs for a 2 mile walk then went out left Winks with the big dogs in the house.  Very proudly I blogged to all of you that Winks is a Good Boy, no more crate.  While I'm bragging and typing my story the dogs, all three are in the backyard. Suddenly I hear Jake and Molz going off the rails barking....I get up....go out the back door...
"What is going on...."  
Mollie is on the deck looking at me like..... 
"I had nothing to do with this"  
Jake, remember Jake the informant, well he is at the fence, front feet up on the fence and he is going nuts...
"The little dude is out of the yard man...totally...like across the street, no fair, totally not cool"
I look across the street and Winks is running around hair just a flying..here comes Bill...
"Hey little guy, you better go home..."
I open the gate, close the gate and head out to retrieve my charge...
"Winks Come...what are you doing....how are you doing this?"
Back in the house we go...once again all is well, kind of....
After dinner last night I went out with the dogs into the big fenced backyard, we were not out there 2 second and Winks the imp is running toward the fence and he bounds up, grabs the top with his to little hairy feet and over he goes...turns and looks at me..
"Lady, I am so cool...did you see that????"
Yes I did, I opened the gate and he ran right back into the big fenced backyard.....I was so thoroughly amazed that this little tiny cute hairy thing could clear a 4' fence I had absolutely nothing to say.  Winks is so impressed with himself that he is running at full-tilt-boogie around the yard, jumping on Jake, jumping on Mollie having the time of his life....then off to the fence again!  
This time I'm ready just as he starts his jump....
"Winks...NO!"...he stopped.....looked right at me....as if I had just racked the best trick in the world!
Now he can not go out in the big fenced backyard without me...he is bummed...I'm bummed....we are working on this...new rule..
"Don't jump the Fence" 
So there you go...the little dude is doing his very best Steve McQueen and I'm trying to figure out what to do next.
Thanks for considering a Fluffy Dog as your Forever Friend...
I just hope you have a 6' fence....
The Lady


All is not lost...I researched 
HOW TO STOP YOUR DOG FROM JUMPING THE FENCE
Check out these links...got to love Google!
Fence Jumping Tip
Dog Obedience Advice
So there you have it Fluffy Dog Friends I will work on these tips....
Winks is smart, he is quick to learn and he did stop when I said "NO"  when he stopped I said good boy and praised him, got a ball and started playing with him.  When he comes I praise him more...I have not said "NO" unless I see him starting to go...
He has not be upstairs in a few days...
He stays out of the kitchen, with lots of reminding, and as soon as he is out..."Good Boy....what a very Good Boy"  
So with positive reinforcement....correction only when he is about to go and being in the yard with him....he will lean this new rule too!
I recommend that if you are his Forever Family that you read these tips and take the advise to heart...as soon as you introduce him to his new yard get him started with what is expected and what is not.  
A Terrier can become a Terrorizer if they do not have a strong leader...so really think about the kind of dog you want, the kind of dog you need before you consider any dog.   I love this little guy he is calm in the house and fun to be with and he challenges me to be a better dog person...Got to Love that! 
The Lady 




No comments:

Post a Comment