Monday, October 12, 2009

Long Weekend

Boy o boy was it a long weekend, trauma, drama, knuckle bones and a few walks.

Trauma: My friend Mollie was showing some signs for kennel cough, the Lady thinks she might have picked it up at the dog park, so we have been staying close to home. We sure don't want any other dogs to get this. Jake & I are doing fine, no coughs, no temperatures! Mollie is fine with the exception of a few coughing spells last week so we think she is on the mend.

Drama: The Lady went to a place called Milwaukee on Saturday night. It was the Birthday of her daughter Jaz, she is 28 years and in dog years that is really a lot. The Lady's daughther Aubree had come to visit and celebrate too, she lives in a place called New York. So when the Lady left she put Jake, Mollie and me in our crates with really big and meaty knuckle bones. These things are great, Mollie and Jake went right to crunching and pulling the meat, tendons and stuff off of theirs. Before the Lady left she checked on me a few times and I was just standing in my crate looking very scared and sad. The Lady had also made arrangements with our neighbors to let us all out between 8:00 and 9:00. She told our friends to let us all out to the backyard. Because of what had happened on Friday morning, the rain and afraid thing. The humans all decided that putting me on my training leash would be a good idea. That way they would have some control over me and I would have some freedom to do my thing.
When our neighbors brought us all back in it was OK to leave Mollie and Jake free in the house but the Lady thought it would be best for me to go back in my crate with my bone. She was concerned without our Pack Leader, the Lady, around there might be some arguments over the bones.
The Lady got home at 2:00 AM and Mollie and Jake where fine, but I had dug at my crate so much I broke the bottom of it, I had raw scores on my face and I had also chewed on the tip of my tail. The Lady is not sure when this happened. She talked to our friends and they said that my nose was banged up when the came over at 8:30, but my tail was OK then. They said I had eaten some of my bone, but not too much. I don't like my crate very much, in fact I hate it. The Lady was just trying to keep me safe and let me have a great knuckle bone, but I hated being crated.
I am great on my walks, and when the Lady is home there is no fighting over the bones, but I am still kind of scared and we have differently gone a few steps backwards in my behavior. We will get back to where we were it will just take time.
Gypsy

2 comments:

  1. Sending out a great big hug for The Lady from
    Kathie, Larry, and her fluffy dog friends, Max, Kasey, and Lyla/Midnight. You are doing a great job! You are trying to fix years of mistreatment and this takes time. You should be proud of yourself.
    http://fluffydogfostering.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete