Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day One Tests 1, 2, 3 and 4

Today is the first full day with Bear....great news to report.....
Last night when I went to bed I left Bear free to roam the house with Molls and Jake.  I sleep in a loft, and the loft is the safe zone for the cats, so no dogs aloud.  Bear did great, when I woke this morning he was crashed peacefully on the sofa.....Test 1, passed with flying colors, A+
I volunteer at Pioneer Center in McHenry, this is a day workshop for physically and mentally disabled adults, I'm gone from 12:00 until 2:30.  As Bear did so very well roaming the house last night, and I'm only gone for a few hours, I decided to let him roam with the crew today.....he was the first one to the door to greet me when I arrived with Jake and Molls right on his heels.....Test 2, another A++
As I was driving home it began to storm...thunder, lighting, monsoon rain.......Test 3, not one smiggin afraid of storms or loud noises....A+++
We have had two good walks, one last night when it cooled down and the second, early this morning .  Last night I just walked him on his collar and he pulled, now I like dogs to walk on heal, right next to me.  I know, this is strict, but discipline and control are important and I'm walking about 320Lbs. of dogs on 3 leashes.  If I'm not in control I would be pulled and tugged from one end of the lake to the other.....so walk we walk on heal. This morning I used a Gentle Leader on Bear, he protested a bit about it, but once we got moving down the road he was great, no pulling and it was much less stressful for all of us.....Test 4, A++++
The poor guy has a case of Kennel Cough, but we will get him through this.....they told me he was shy....maybe just a little bit, but he is doing wonderfully here.....likes Molls and Jake, gets on good with the cats, has learned to stay on the carpet when I'm making cat & dog dinners in the kitchen.....with only 3 or 4 corrections...smart guy....
As I type Bear is once again lying at my feet....he is a Velcro dog, but not in an obnoxious way....just likes to be close the one he loves.....This is one fine dog....handsome, smart and really loving who could ask for anything more?
Just hanging out and getting to know each other

Three really smart dogs waiting for treats

Really good treats man

You really shouldn't have walked away Jake...Dude we got another one!


The Lady

4 comments:

  1. He is Gorgeous! Huge too!! Jasper is going home on Sunday - Wow - that was fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that maybe Jasper would become a member of your pack...he looked like he fit right in.
    Bear is great, poor guy has kennel cough, that sounds so awful, I feel so bad for him. But we will get him past it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addie has kennel cough also but the worst seems to be over. If he isn't eating well for you, I read canned food is easier on their throat while they are ill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cricket, he's eating fine, just lots of hacking...sounds so horrible.....Addie is too cute hope this runs a fast course

    ReplyDelete